As Floridians are well aware, not every day in The Sunshine State is filled with sunshine. Summer time in Florida is no stranger to storms and rain showers. More so, from June 1st through November 30th residents are especially watchful for potential weather hazards. Hurricane season is here, and when alerts go out and watches are put into place, recommendations to prepare, or even evacuate, can become widespread. The hurricane season has many preparing for possible weather-related threats. Our Aqua Home Care team closely monitors for these conditions as well, placing safety as our top priority. In the unfortunate event of a hurricane or strong storm, we reach out to confirm individuals have a plan in place.
This time of year, fellow Floridians can be seen taking precautions against possible hurricane implications. Along our coastal shores and areas beyond, residents stock up on water, gas, and nonperishables. Generators may be purchased and home reinforcement projects may be underway. Caregivers can help prepare as well, assisting in any way they can. Those who live alone or have families living elsewhere may find it difficult to take all of the necessary steps to ensure safety. A trusted caregiver can help with storm preparedness by:
- Gathering necessary supplies: batteries, flashlights, first aid kit, etc.
- Placing important documents in safe containers
- Shopping for water and nonperishable food items
- Having a plan for shelter/transportation in the event of evacuation
- Calling for assistance with placing storm shutters on your home
- Arranging for shelter for your pets if they must be left behind
- Monitoring of weather conditions
- Bringing outside items inside
- Help with refilling any necessary medications
- Providing companionship
Safety and well-being is of utmost importance. Those receiving in-home care services should always feel safe in their homes, even during a storm. Caregivers prepare and stay informed regarding weather-related situations and aftermath. Our thoughts are with those receiving in-home care services, caregivers, their families, and all impacted during times of potential hazardous weather. We at Aqua Home Care refer trusted in-home caregivers to those in need of services, and that care doesn’t stop during the preparation of a storm. By preparing together, we are stronger together.